Saturday, July 05, 2014

Glandular Fever revisited

Skye had a relapse last weekend.  We thought she was breezing through this, pfft - glandular fever?  No problems, she's such a resilient kid, she's back to normal and bouncing off the walls!

Famous last words.  Last Saturday she crashed in spectacular fashion.  We were scheduled to go out for dinner with friends and kids on Saturday night.  By lunchtime she was complaining of a bit of a tummy ache.  By 3pm it had evolved into a massive headache (I hesitate to use the word migraine, because she's 4 years old, but maybe it was, it came and went in waves) which didn't respond to either paracetamol or Ibuprofen... at 4pm she was vomiting all over herself and by 5pm she fell asleep on the floor with her head on my lap.

SO!  We stayed home, cancelled plans.  We've kept her quiet all week and pumped her up with vitamins, vegetables, beetroot/fruit smoothies and lots of rest.  More blood tests on Monday revealed she is recovering, albeit slowly.  We have to go back for MORE tests in another month to make sure its still resolving.  Glands are all still up too.  Poor baby girl.

Anyway, sounds like another excuse from me - once again my exercise plans are foiled! 

However, heres something BIG.  Alcohol - had a glass of wine on Saturday night (after 2 whole weeks off) and I totally didn't enjoy it.  What?  Did I just say that?  Hmm.  Anyway, I went another week without any and felt good.  Sleeping awesome now that I'm not getting up in the night to a sick child.  Had some wine last night and DID enjoy it though - however I really don't feel like I want to slip back to relying on wine AKA 'mamas little helper' again.

Also, big, massive improvements from me in terms of snacking.  I'm just not doing it.  I don't know why, but its awesome. Feeling much more in control.

Now just gotta get cracking on doing some more resistance sessions!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It usually happens that when you have something special planned that the kids end up sick. I Do hope Skye is much now. Well done to stop the snacking. Christine

Miss Positive said...

Thanks Christine, yes its hard when the kids are sick, we've been pretty lucky so far but we are not escaping it this year by the look of things!